Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Old Glory

OLD GLORY
On a battle field many years ago it was once believed that I would not make it through the night. The night was long and the fighting was fierce. At times I myself wondered if I would withstand the enemy as they slowly and steadily approached our shores. Yet as the morning sun rose, I shone with glory and pride. --- It has been many years and many wars later and I still stand proud and bright. Since those nights I have been the witness to many that have fallen and many that have given more than their life to the country I love. I have stood on tall mountains, shallow valleys, wide plains and narrow rivers. I have lead many leaders and followed many soldiers. I have waved to crowds of thousands and saluted the lonely. I have marked great lands and even the moon. --- I have been tattered and torn by those who reject my freedoms. I have been pressed and mended by those that love my vision and glory. Yet through it all I have hung and billowed in respect for their beliefs and the wisdom that has been born. I forget no one in my daily pleas to our God. I pray for peace, prosperity, and above all respect. --- I hope for the day when darkness will subside. I long for a rest for the weary and weak. I rejoice for the happy moments that make us strong. I often am alone and forgotten; left to weather the battle alone. Often I my colors have faded and sometimes I'm torn. The battles still rage on, as I look down on faces of tears and pain of the loved ones that have gone. I cry with their loss, yet rejoice for the freedoms they have gained. --- My colors are true. I am here to stay. The day dawn is breaking and the people are waking. The night dew is going and my stars are still shining. My stripes are bold and their meaning so clear. The answer is here, I still wave for the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. --- -Matthew McEwen

No comments: